Frequent Questions

 Is there a charge to use JJ Collett Natural Area?  No, there is not a charge to use the area, but donations are appreciated, and essential for the upkeep and maintenance of the area.   You can mail your donation to JJ Collett Natural Area,  RR 4, Site 5, Box 40, Lacombe, Alberta  T4L 2L4.  You can also donate through ATB Cares   ATB will contribute an extra 15% to your donation.  See the donation tab for further information.

Do I have to have my dog on a leash at JJ Collett?  Yes, dogs must be on a leash.  According to the Lacombe bylaw officer, all handlers must be in control of their dogs at all times for the safety of wildlife, humans and other canines.  Remember, animals can be unpredictable.  Please be responsible.

Where do we dispose of poop bags and garbage?  Poop bags and garbage are to be taken home.  We do not have the volunteers to remove poop bags and trash from the area.  If your dog poops on the trail, remove it. If you put it in a bag, take it home with you, and please do not throw the bag in the bush or outhouses.

What time is the area open?  The area is open from dawn to dusk daily.

Can you ride bicycles at JJ Collett?  Due to erosion and damage to trails, no bicycles allowed.

Can you ride horses at JJ Collett?  Due to erosion and damage to trails, no horses allowed.

 Are we allowed to pick plants or mushrooms at JJ?   No, we want plants and mushrooms to reseed and multiply.  Please do not pick plants in the area.

Just wondering if campfires are allowed in the area?  Sorry, campfires are not allowed at JJ Collett Natural Area.  Enjoy the area hiking, snow shoeing, cross-country skiing, or photography.

If I encounter a problem at JJ Collett, who do I contact? If you witness/encounter a problem with dogs or any other issue visiting the natural area contact the Red Deer District Office at 403-748-3939. To report wildlife sightings, hunting violations, vandalism, public safety concerns, or any other matter that may require a Conservation Officer, please call the Alberta Parks Enforcement Line 24/7 at 403-350-5066”.

Please provide description of problem canine, handler, date, time and a license plate number, as this information is essential to correct any issues that may arise.

How do I report trees blocking the trails?   If you notice trees that are a danger, or across the trails, please contact us!  Bonus points if you can use the Grid Map to help identify the exact location.